[Valid Atom 1.0]

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Frank Sinatra: Autumn in New York



It won't be autumn in New York until September 23 (a week from today), but this is worth posting for the terrific video alone.  This is the Billy May arranged version from the Come Fly With Me album in 1958.



Vernon Duke, originally Vladimir Alexandrovich Dukelsky, who's family fled Russia after the Communist Revolution (his biography would make a heck of a movie), wrote this song for the 1934 musical Thumbs Up.  It has been recorded by many of the greats including Billie Holiday, John Coltrane and Stan GetzCharlie Parker, and Charles Mingus (just to name a few).

Frank and Gloria Vanderbilt in New York (it could be autumn, but actually it's December 31, 1954)

Here is Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong's doing a great version of it:


And I love Sarah Vaughan's version of it too:



Here is the 1947 Axel Stordahl version:

Mark Steyn has the Bergmans' Ol MacDonald and Nice 'N' Easy,  Johnny Green and Edward Heyman's I Cover The Waterfront, and Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn's Just In Time.  Mark also had an other Vernon Duke seasonal song earlier this year with April in Paris.  


Bob Belvedere is into his top ten with Songs #10 through #6: Let's Get Away From It All, One For My Baby, I've Got The World On A Strong, That's Why The Lady Is A Tramp, and The Way You Look Tonight. Bob last week had Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer's Come Rain Or Come Shine.  Bob had Autumn Leaves at his #38.

I had Autumn LeavesSeptember in the Rain, Irving Berlin's Let's Take An Old Fashioned Walk (with the lovely Doris Day doing a duet with Frank) which also has a Jimmy Van Heusen's song Young At Heart. I previously had You Never Had It So GoodSeptember SongSeptember of My YearsCome Fly With Me, and Frank and Sarah Vaughan with The Nearness of You.

Don’t forget to also keep checking out
It’s a swingin’ world.

Rule 5 and FMJRA

3 comments:

  1. I'm starting to think you're a Sinatra fan. Have you heard of Melody Gardot? Smooth, smooth, smooth voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Sinatra fan, but this is his centenial year so Mark Steyn, Bob Belvedere and Pundette are all doing Sinatra Celebrations (so I am doing it too). It will sadly come to an end this December.

      I will check out Melody Gardot.

      Delete
  2. Here's a good one to start with.

    I don't read Steyn on a regular basis, and I'm not familar with the other two, so I missed what they're doing.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.