[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, September 7, 2015

Frank Sinatra: You Never Had It So Good



Mark Steyn is going with a Labor Day theme, covering Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein's Ol' Man River (my link on the song title goes to a visually dramatic video version of Sinatra singing it) and Johnny Green and Edward Hayman's I Cover The Waterfront for Frank's early days on the Hoboken docks.  

But here is a Jimmy Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn song from an album that Frank and Bing Crosby did following John F. Kennedy's assassination.  It is not particularly a Labor Day song, but it works (and 9 times out of 10 you can't go wrong with a Van Heusen Cahn song).  And I like this duet with Sinatra and Crosby, backed up by Fred Waring's Pennsylvanians

Mark Steyn has I Cover The Waterfront and Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn's Just In Time. Pundette has Joe Bushkin's Oh! Look At Me Now. Bob Belvedere has Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer's Come Rain Or Come Shine.  And I have Irving Berlin's Let's Take An Old Fashioned Walk which also has a Jimmy Van Heusen's song Young At Heart.  I previously had September Song, September of My Years, and Come Fly With Me.

Don’t forget to also keep checking out
Pundette’s Sinatra 100 countdown,
Ms Evi’s Sinatra Celebration,
Dispatches from the Camp of the Saints Sinatra, &
Mark Steyn’s Sinatra Songs Of The Century.
It’s a swingin’ world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.