[Valid Atom 1.0]

Sunday, October 28, 2018

The End of Gab?


The End of Gab

I do not blame Gab for anti semites murders

But I have a feeling Twitter and others are very into getting rid of a potential competitor. 

Update: EBL: Gab Is Back!


Gab is not anti-Semitic (even though the media tries to portray it like that). It is a social media platform that promotes free speech more than its competitors. That is good, but also means people banned from other sites tend to migrate to Gab. So I am not surprised some anti Semites are there (some I recognize from being on Twitter and Facebook). I see some of their posts. I don't pay too much attention--because I consider racism and anti Semitism to be without merit. They are wrong, but I have seen worse on Twitter and Facebook directed at conservatives (just substitute Jew for Conservatives). There are also some pretty vile attacks on Jews at Facebook and Twitter (but generally by Muslims--who get a pass from the left).  

I have not personally seen posts promoting any sort of violence on Gab (although some of the shooter's posts were grossly offensive and arguably crossed that line). But could you turn him into law enforcement over those? Doubtful--without the hindsight of what happened. If free speech offends you, which I understand because it often offends me, consider the alternative. I find it hard to believe that a shooter like this would be deterred from doing what he did if Gab is banned.  

Given the dark history of anti-Semitism through history (including recent events in Pittsburgh), I also understand the concern. The shooting in Pittsburgh was vile. I do not want to see the sort of violent anti-Semitism of France and Britain (be it Neo-Nazis or Islamist inspired) come to America. But I get the feeling the attacks on Gab after this shooting are more about the cheap virtue of going after a site like Gab to redirect attention from these other media entities--and also to take out a potential competitor.  While Gab is insignificant compared to Twitter or Facebook, Silicon Valley does not want a right wing or libertarian competitor out there.  






90 Miles from Tyranny: Gab goes dark: Godaddy pulls plug




The Verge: PayPal bans Gab following Pittsburgh shooting and Microsoft and Gab

Twitchy: Screaming Howard Dean wants Gab prosecuted as an accessory to murder

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.