[Valid Atom 1.0]

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Metropolitan Opera Fires Russian Diva Anna Netrebko for not denouncing Putin (sufficiently)

 


I am opposed to this senseless war of aggression and I am calling on Russia to end this war right now, to save all of us,” Netrebko said in a statement before the Met’s announcement. “We need peace right now. This is not a time for me to make music and perform. I have therefore decided to take a step back from performing for the time being. It is an extremely difficult decision for me, but I know that my audience will understand and respect this decision.
First of all: I am opposed to this war. I am Russian and I love my country but I have many friends in Ukraine and the pain and suffering right now breaks my heart. I want this war to end and for people to be able to live in peace. This is what I hope and pray for. I want to add, however, that forcing artists, or any public figure to voice their political opinions in public and to denounce their homeland is not right. This should be a free choice. I am not a political person. I am not an expert in politics. I am an artist and my purpose is to unite across political divides.

These statements by Ms. Netrebko are very reasonable and appropriate. Apparently those statements were not good enough for the Met Opera. Peter Gelb fired her. Note, she is being fired for being silent on Putin. 

This is not how you handle or fight Putin. It is unreasonable to demand a Russian citizen denounce Putin to appease your political correctness. She has family in Russia and lives there (at least part time). If she made Ukraine a political issue now and forced the issue for the Met, that might be one thing. She didn't, the Met made this an issue. 

The Met did this over MeToo with Placido Domingo and James Levine. Now the Met is all politically correct over Ukraine. I do not recall the Met getting too fired about about abuses in China (maybe they should have all Chinese opera singers denounce Xi and abuses of Uighurs). That is why the Met is a bunch of hypocrites. 




Rule 5 and FMJRA

Woodsterman: Rule 5


Daily Gator: Firepower


.357 Magnum: Sat Link


Bacon Time: Sunday Links


Powerline: The Week In Pictures


The View from Lady Lake: Funnies


Mark Steyn: Michael Mann, Loser (Again)Snerdley on RittenhouseCanada Trucks, War in Europe 1 and 2...9The Indispensable ManRemembering RushShaidle Among The StarsKathy's World

TOM: ‘Simply Not True’In The Mailbox: 03.11.22Crazy People Are DangerousIn The Mailbox: 03.10.22 (Evening Edition)Judge Sentences Jussie Smollett to Jail; Hate Hoaxer Freaks Out Completely‘A Difficult Midterm’In The Mailbox: 03.10.22 (Afternoon Edition)Ukraine Smashes Tank Column Near Kyiv, Kills Commander of Russian RegimentSweet Payday for Jeff Zucker‘Baltimore-Area Women’Two Russian Generals Reported Killed as Ukraine Invasion Becomes ‘Clusterf**k’In The Mailbox: 03.08.22In The Mailbox: 03.07.22Why Ukraine Is Winning (So Far)What ‘Intellectuals’ BelieveNever Take Military Advice From (Or Give Money to) #NeverTrump GriftersUkraine: Russia Agrees to Temporary Cease-Fire in Besieged MariupolIn The Mailbox: 03.04.22Teetering on the BrinkGregory William Robert Fulchino, R.I.P.

A collection of sites known for appreciation of Rule 5 and streaming through the Wuhan Coronacalypse:  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.