[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, October 14, 2019

Newell Convers Wyeth: Columbus Crosses The Atlantic



Columbus is attributed now with bringing slavery to the New World. While Columbus participated in slavery--there was plenty of it already in the Americas when he arrived. On October 12, 1492 (the first day he encountered the native people of the Americas), Columbus wrote in his journal: "They should be good servants."

What is left out of that journal entry this: "Many of the men I have seen have scars on their bodies, and when I made signs to them to find out how this happened, they indicated that people from other nearby islands come to San Salvador to capture them; they defend themselves the best they can. I believe that people from the mainland come here to take them as slaves. They ought to make good and skilled servants, for they repeat very quickly whatever we say to them. I think they can very easily be made Christians, for they seem to have no religion. If it pleases our Lord, I will take six of them to Your Highnesses when I depart, in order that they may learn our language."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.