[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, February 13, 2012

The right way to enact same sex marriage...

This is the right way...   (Washington State passes legislation for same sex marriage).  I am a conservative but I support same sex marriage.  I just want to see it imposed the right way.  


This is the wrong way...  (9th Circuit reversal of Proposition 8).  Granted California's legislature did pass it and then Proposition 8 took it away.  But I am sure this would have eventually passed in California with a some new proposition in the future (and not the distant future either).  But that got short "circuited" by the 9th Circuit.  


If proponents of same sex marriage are right (and I believe they are) they should fight to democratically change the laws in those states that do not recognize it.  I disagree with trying to impose it through the courts.  


Update:  Rick Santorum was in Washington State today to protest this legislation.  Okay, Washington State has a caucus coming up.  There is some back lash presumably to this legislation and a chance for Rick Santorum to distinguish himself from Mitt Romney.  Will this help him defeat Barack Obama?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  We will see.  While I was not a big fan on his Super Bowl ad, I got to say I am with Eastwood on this issue.  But since I really want to see Obamacare and out of control spending get reined in, I fear Rick Santorum's foray into these issues will lead to another result like this.  Bill Clinton got elected reminding himself:  It is the economy, stupid.  


I am not a big Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich fan, but if I think Rick Santorum is not a viable candidate I will never vote for him in the primaries.   And a lot of other conservatives (let alone libertarians and moderates) will do the same.   But assuming a social conservative polarizing Santorum makes it to the general, he will lose with this platform.  I will vote for him over Obama.  Because I understand the importance of this election.  Yes a plurality of people hold one man one woman as marriage.  But a majority of people put this issue well down on their priorities that need to be fixed.  And all Rick Santorum has to loose a few too many votes and it is Pennsylvania 2006 again.  


I was hoping Rick Santorum was going to be a fiscal hawk, small government, states rights guy.  And Rick Santorum is spot on when he is discussing curtailing entitlements.  He is wrong about earmarks though, because while only a small fragment of spending, earmarks are the walking around money that makes entitlement curtailing so damn hard.  


But a constitutional amendment on marriage.  Really?  That is supposed to be our principal focus right now?  I am not asking him to abandon his stance against same sex marriage.  He is absolutely entitled to that position.  But same sex marriage is not the same as other social conservative issues like right to life.  The principal focus is this country is in danger of economic stagnation and permanent decline.  We are in an extremely competitive presidential election.  And Obama has the advantage as the incumbent.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.