[Valid Atom 1.0]

Thursday, January 10, 2019

So maybe Reefer Madness wasn't completely wrong after all?



On most social issues I am a libertarian. While I don't use marijuana myself, I was mostly indifferent to adults who did. I did use it occasionally while I was younger, I grew out of it (I never particularly liked it when I was a kid--it always made me feel less social and introverted). 

While I never bought the weed cures everything nonsense, I figured it had some benefit as a palliative (especially to people suffering chronic and painful diseases). Better to use weed to relax than take opioids (or for that matter excessive alcohol).  

If you are a marijuana proponent, the article above will harsh your buzz. From a social policy standpoint, we are likely going to experience some downside to what is going on. The products available now are way stronger than stuff available decades ago.  

I have personally observed over the last few years that people who use weed a lot tend to get quickly irritable (as in fly into a rage). The old truism that weed makes one mellow is actually a false one (or a very limited one). Just like alcohol affects people in different ways, so does marijuana.  

States that have legalized weed have also experienced jumps in their homeless population. Coincidence? While it is the not the sole cause, it is a contributing factor.  

And even if you are not in that group that will develop violent personality changes or psychotic triggering, this advice from the guys from South Park still holds true: 




















Goodstuffs: 255th ed

Woodsterman: Monday

357 Magnum: Mon links

Hogewash: Quid Est Veritas?

The Right Way: Link-O-Rama

Proof Positive: Best Of The Web

90 Miles from Tyranny: Rule 5 Links

Feral Irishman: Fishing without a license

Pirate's Cove: Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup

Animal Magnetism: Saturday Blondepocalypse

Political Clown Parade: Flowing Curves of Beauty

Lem's Place: Summer resupply at McMurdo Antarctica

A View From The Beach: Media tricked into covering this story

Diogenes Middle Finger News: Society threatened by fact resistant humans

TOM: In The Mailbox 01.11.19Crazy People Are DangerousFriday Fiction: 100 Word ChallengeGirl Found Alive After Being Kidnapped by Man Who Murdered Her ParentsGoogle: ‘To Control the Narrative, We Planted Stories with Journalists’In The Mailbox: 01.10.19The Happiness GapIn The Mailbox: 01.09.19Step Back From The Wall And ConsiderSchumer and Pelosi Own the Shutdown Even as They Try to Blame TrumpIn The Mailbox: 01.08.19Crazy People Are Dangerous: Florida Stripper Had Mass Murder FantasiesMedia’s Anti-White Bias Makes Houston Drive-By Shooting National NewsFMJRA 2.0: (Like) There’s No TomorrowLatina Lesbian Murdered by Two Men (But Don’t Blame Racist Homophobes)Living Well Is the Best RevengeThe “Character” Issue II: More Personality

A collection of sites known for appreciation of Rule 5 and mind altering substances:

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree with the libertarian social statement. And with the "it's not for me" stance. Maybe I'm too independent or reflexively suspicious but the KoolKids stoners and their celebrity counterparts have always repelled me; despite the enthusiasm and marketing I just cannot belong to their club. Now we hear the claims of universal relief and mind-expanding mysticism were exaggerations.
    Damn. You could knock me over with a feather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoking and drinking use have declined. I suspect that initially, weed use will increase, because the lawful curious will now feel safe to try it. But I think in the long run, people will see it as an unnecessary destructive habit. Unfortunately, first they will have to witness the destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, weed has its problems-- keeping it illegal has even bigger problems. Did you know the Drug Czar is the only United States government official that is required by law to lie? The Drug Czar by law cannot admit anything positive about marijuana or any other illegal drug no matter how true it is.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.