[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, December 17, 2018

Roma: A Review



I watched Roma the other night. It is a semi-autobiographical movie about director and writer Alfonso Cuarón's 1970’s childhood in Mexico.

It is beautifully filmed and framed. The acting in it is very well done. Visually it is stunning. It is also heartbreaking and depressing at times. The film centers on the young housekeeper, Cleo, and the mom, Sofia.

I first saw it, I did not realize it was the director's own personal memoir (rather than focused on his own perspective, he focused on the housekeeper and mom). When I found out later it was autobiographical (at least in part), the film made a lot more sense to me (the visual shots have a memory quality to them). A film like this is very personal and will not appeal to everyone.  

I am not sure I would support it for best picture [THR, without really any legitimate basis to do so, manages to through an anti-Trump immigration angle into this--but since it did so--what about Fermín coming uninvited?]. I might be a yes vote for best cinematography (it is beautifully done). I hope the two main actors at least get nominated for their work--they were both very good.  

Rotten Tomatoes: Roma

National Review: Armond White did not like Roma, but did like Museo (which I will need to check out--Museo sounds really interesting). I have to concur with White that Roma does push the whole SJW trifecta of race, class, and feminism (that Hollywood so loves)--although it was so visually well done I got past that. Truth is there are males out there who abandon their families. Since I essentially got it as part of Netflix (I doubt I would have paid to see it in the theater), I was pleasantly surprised. Even though I did not dislike the film as he did, I did find White's review entertaining too. I suspect a lot would agree with White's Roma take.  










Rule 5 & FMJRA

Goodstuffs: Trippin'

Woodsterman: Caroling

357 Magnum: Sun Links

Feral Irishman: AOC opines

Hogewash : Mmmm, Coffee! 

The Right Way: Link-O-Rama

American Thinker: Witch Hunt

Roger Simon : Good Riddance!

Proof Positive: Best Of The Web

90 Miles from Tyranny: Rule 5 links

Victory Girls: For Real or Premature?

Pirate's Cove: Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup

Animal Magnetism: Saturday Gingermageddon

A View From The Beach: #HerToo and Moonves

Political Clown Parade: Flowing Curves of Beauty

Diogenes Middle Finger News: A Good Monday Morning

TOM: In The Mailbox: 12.21.18Syria, Afghanistan, and the #NeverTrump Problem of Jonah GoldbergThe Devil’s in AlabamaThe Gathering DarknessFriday Fiction: 100 Word ChallengeTeacher Pronounces Education Secretary DeVos ‘Completely Under-Qualified’Samuel Little: FBI Says Serial Killer Murdered at Least 34 WomenIn The Mailbox: 12.20.18Violence Against Women UpdateViolence Against Women UpdateIn The Mailbox: 12.19.18BOOM! John McCain Aide Was BuzzFeed Source for Steele DossierThe Only Good Commie …Woody Allen’s Jailbait Lover: ‘When Mia Was There, We’d Talk About Astrology, and Woody Was Forced to Listen’In The Mailbox: 12.19.18The Hate Twitter Won’t Ban‘Social Justice’ and the Death GapIn The Mailbox: 12.17.18Are You Listening?In The Mailbox: 12.14.18So Much ‘Ahoy’

A collection of sites known for appreciation of Rule 5 and well acted and filmed movies:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.