[Valid Atom 1.0]

Saturday, March 9, 2013

World's Best Crab Cakes


This is not the world's best crab cake recipe.  Now the Ritz crackers are a good idea.  I have used them and they work really well.  Japanese planko works well too.  But this recipe is too spicy.  Crab cakes, especially if you are using fresh premium crab meat, need to focus on its primary ingredient.  The filler (crackers, bread crumbs, etc.), things like celery or celeriac, and eggs are all about framing the crab, not over powering it.

So I would leave the mustard out entirely (if you really like mustard add a bit in).  I would go with a wee bit of Old Bay (I use a saltless version that is really good).  I do add grated celeriac and some shallots.  I would save the spice for any dipping sauces to complement the crab cakes.

There is also this Nigella Lawson crab cake recipe.  Wasabi is a powerful condiment, but there is a reason is is used in sushi and sashimi.  Horseradish (and wasabi is Japanese horseradish) has a way of bringing out the seafood flavor.  So that is the exception to the crab spicing rule I mentioned above.  Still, I like strong flavors adjustable (such as a side condiment) for something like crab cakes.

Update:
Proof's Nigella Lawon's Rule 5, January 2011 
EBL's Nigella Lawson's Rule 5, March 2013

Coconut Crab (with Nigella)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.