[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, July 23, 2012

Ichiro Suzuki to the Yankees? I did not see that coming!

Seattle getting two pitchers and paying the Yankees cash?  
Granted Ichiro's skills are declining and he must be sick of being on a loser team that has not been a contender for ten years. But I did not see this coming.  Ichiro is a big draw for Japanese fans (who travel to Seattle just to see him). Given Nintendo's ownership of the Mariners, such a move did not seem likely.

Of course, there is the wisdom of Ichiro:
"Chicks who dig home runs aren't the ones who appeal to me. I think there's sexiness in infield hits because they require technique. I'd rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out." New York Times (August 22, 2009)
"I'm told I either look bigger than I do on television or that I look smaller than I look on television. No one seems to think I look the same size." Tacoma News Tribune (May 23, 2001)
“To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to. If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.” Stone, Larry. Mariners Notebook. Seattle Times (June 11, 2007)
Maybe the Yankees picked up Ichiro as a Japanese replacement for Yogi Berra.
Say what you will:  262 hits in 2004  Granted this is sort of like Willie Mays playing for the Mets.  But my guess is Ichiro will have a great rest of the year with the Yankees.

Update:

Ichiro says his first day with the Yankees was "a wonderful day to experience."  Which I assume means, "glad I am not with those losers!"

Update:  Such a deal!  For the Yankees.  For the Mariners, more of why they suck (hint:  poor management, just like the U.S. economy and lack luster recovery is due to poor management).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.