I didn't know Branagh wrote the lyrics, interesting. Unfortunately for him, this scene is the best thing in the film. It captures the bittersweetness of Mrs. Hubbard's "victory" perfectly. However, the film was a real disappointment. Besides all the very significant plot changes and invested scenes, his take on Poirot (not fussy or boarder line OCD and a man of physical action), is just too far from Christie's text and Suchet's portrayal to not make anyone familiar with Poirot uneasy. I can only imagine he was trying to create a Poirot Universe series of films for a younger audience unfamiliar with the books or Suchet TV version he could crank out for a steady payday. I think his take on Death on the Nile and asking Gal Gadot to act even for a little bit killed that dream.
I didn't know Branagh wrote the lyrics, interesting. Unfortunately for him, this scene is the best thing in the film. It captures the bittersweetness of Mrs. Hubbard's "victory" perfectly. However, the film was a real disappointment. Besides all the very significant plot changes and invested scenes, his take on Poirot (not fussy or boarder line OCD and a man of physical action), is just too far from Christie's text and Suchet's portrayal to not make anyone familiar with Poirot uneasy. I can only imagine he was trying to create a Poirot Universe series of films for a younger audience unfamiliar with the books or Suchet TV version he could crank out for a steady payday. I think his take on Death on the Nile and asking Gal Gadot to act even for a little bit killed that dream.
ReplyDelete