[Valid Atom 1.0]

Saturday, December 22, 2018

Don't Wish Julia Ioffe A Merry Christmas


Julia Ioffe does not like being wished Merry Christmas

My tweets below sum up my position. I do not wish Merry Christmas to be provocative, but simply to wish good cheer to people at Christmas. If I know you are not celebrating Christmas, I will say something else such as Happy Hanukkah (although we are past that now given how it landed this year) or Happy New Year, or even the watered down "Happy Holidays" (which is derivative of Happy Holy Days). If I run into someone I know who is Muslim,  Hindu, or a known non believer around this season, I will just wish them the best. It is that simple. 

I am not offended when others celebrate their faiths. I like Jewish Holidays (I also really like Jewish food). I have been in Israel for Passover (no one wished me a happy Easter but I wished plenty a Happy Passover). I have participated in Iftar and Hindu religious themed events and liked them too (I like their food too). I wish the participants the best when I attend. If the spirit of a holiday is expressed as a matter of good will, I take it as such. Maybe Julia Ioffe should too. 

Apparently her point is if you wish her a Merry Christmas, however innocent that wish may be, it is impolite and alienating. There is something wrong with you for foisting your faith on her. Really Julia? Bah, humbug! I do not believe it is appropriate to shame Christians into watering down their celebration or feel bad about it. Should we just ignore it completely? The Soviet Union, as she notes, tried to eliminate the Christian part of the season (and just keep the secular). There is plenty of serious persecution of Christians and Jews in the world. Why can't well all just be happy with each other's holidays?

And as Ace pointed out, New York City is hardly a bastion of Christian Christmas anymore. There are plenty of Santas, trees, stars, snowflakes, and similar secularized decorations, but not a lot of Nativities (at least outside a few traditional neighborhoods that are left and some churches). Christmas in New York is almost as secular as Julia's Soviet childhood (with the exception that mammon is definitely the center of festivities).  

I disagree with Ms. Ioffe politically on some things (she did, however, call Obama out on Syria back in the day). She has been intentionally provocative and offensive at times. That said, I do wish her a Happy New Year and Solstice (and I hope her Hanukkah and High Holidays were good too).

EBL: Julia Ioffe Rule 5

The Lid: PC Stupidity: Banning Ginger Men

Legal Insurrection: Liking Being Jewish On Christmas

AoSHQ: Correct and NPC Julia Ioffe whines about people wishing her Merry Christmas

A Different Side of Japan: The Japanese get into Christmas their own way...



Goodstuffs: Trippin'

Woodsterman: Caroling

357 Magnum: Sun Links

Feral Irishman: AOC opines

Hogewash : Mmmm, Coffee! 

The Right Way: Link-O-Rama

American Thinker: Witch Hunt

Roger Simon : Good Riddance!

Proof Positive: Best Of The Web

90 Miles from Tyranny: Rule 5 links

Victory Girls: For Real or Premature?


TOM: Can We Deport The New York Times, Please?In The Mailbox: 12.21.18Syria, Afghanistan, and the #NeverTrump Problem of Jonah GoldbergThe Devil’s in AlabamaThe Gathering DarknessFriday Fiction: 100 Word ChallengeTeacher Pronounces Education Secretary DeVos ‘Completely Under-Qualified’Samuel Little: FBI Says Serial Killer Murdered at Least 34 WomenIn The Mailbox: 12.20.18Violence Against Women UpdateViolence Against Women UpdateIn The Mailbox: 12.19.18BOOM! John McCain Aide Was BuzzFeed Source for Steele DossierThe Only Good Commie …Woody Allen’s Jailbait Lover: ‘When Mia Was There, We’d Talk About Astrology, and Woody Was Forced to Listen’In The Mailbox: 12.19.18The Hate Twitter Won’t Ban‘Social Justice’ and the Death GapIn The Mailbox: 12.17.18Are You Listening?In The Mailbox: 12.14.18So Much ‘Ahoy’

A collection of sites known for appreciation of Rule 5 and Christmas:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.