[Valid Atom 1.0]

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Frank Sinatra: Don't Like Goodbyes



Frank Sinatra did this song as part of the 1959 Close To You album. It was Nelson Riddle arranged and the song is by Harold Arlen and Truman Capote (I did not know Capote was a songwriter and this song came from a musical based on House of Flowers).


Farrow and Sinatra at Capote's Black and White Ball

Arlen, Capote, Marlene Dietrich, and Leonard Lyons at El

Mark Steyn has Colman and Leigh's (arranged by Quincy Jones and backed by Count Basie) The Best Is Yet To Come.  Mark is all about Nelson Riddle with Van Heusen and Mercer's I Thought About You although he does have this film suggestion and a special Man of Columbus focus for Columbus Day. Pundette has the Bergmans' Nice and Easy, orchestrated by Nelson Riddle and Cole Porter's Night and Day, in Paris, also orchestrated by Riddle. Bob Belvedere has the album Nice and Easy on his #9 for best Sinatra disks,  Frank reminisces about Tommy Dorsey for #8, and Where Are You? for #7

Yesterday I had For A While from the Watertown album. For Columbus Day I had the Gershwins' They All Laughed. Given how scarce female song writers are for American songbook standards, I had Imogen Carpenter's Anytime, Anywhere (although I did enjoy the Mandalay reference too). I had Frank's early hit with Tommy Dorsey Trade Winds. I also had Rain (Falling From The Skies) and The Night We Called It A Day. Before that I had Gershwins' I Got Plenty 'O' Nuttin. I had the jazz standard Indian Summer with bonus Michele Carey.

Don’t forget to also keep checking out
Pundette’s Sinatra 100 countdown,
Ms Evi’s Sinatra Celebration,
Dispatches from the Camp of the Saints Sinatra, &
Mark Steyn’s Sinatra Songs Of The Century.
It’s a swingin’ world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.